Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Beautiful and Humble Prayer by Chrysostom

John Chrysostom prays:

Know, O Lord my God, I a unworthy that You should enter beneath the roof of the temple of my soul, because it is all empty and dead, there is in me no worthy place where You may lay Your head.  But since from Your loftiness You humbled yourself for our sake, please humble Yourself now toward my humility.  And as it seemed good to You to lie in the cavern and in the manger of dumb beasts, so also now graciously lie in the manger of my dumb soul, and enter into my defiled body.  Just as You did not refuse to enter into the house of Simon the leper, and there to sit at a meal with sinners, so also graciously enter into the house of my humble soul, which is leprous and sinful.  Just as You did not feel loathing for the polluted lips of a sinful woman who kissed our feet, so also do not loathe my even more defiled and polluted lips and unclean tongue.  Amen.



This John Chrysostom did indeed have a way with words.  Wow, and so deep.

No comments: