Thursday, February 18, 2010

"Ich steh an deiner Krippe hier", verses in German and English translations




There exists an older, rhyming, English translation of this hymn, beginning on page 32, at:

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=fg8DAAAAQAAJ&dq=j+kelly+spiritual+songs&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=9aC5LGBK5H&sig=N7s_7OSEy6hLJv8oeS5KuIEaoXk#v=onepage&q=&f=false

After searching for a bit, I have not found anything better. This translation mostly pleases me, though translation of lines such as "Wie du mein wolltest werden" as "How Thou Thyself shouldst give me"--don't work for me. What does this mean? For one thing we are missing a preposition in this profound phrase, such as "to me", to make it clearer. "How you would become mine" or "my own" is direct.


Here is a translation of my own.



 
Paul Gerhardt, 1653 (1607-1676)













I completed this translation myself.  Anyone may have it. 

1. Ich steh an deiner Krippe hier,
O Jesu du mein Leben;
Ich komme, bring und schenke dir,
Was du mir hast gegeben.
Nimm hin, es ist mein Geist und Sinn,
Herz, Seel und Mut, nimm alles hin
Und laß dir's wohlgefallen.


I stand at your manger here, oh Jesus, you, my life.
I come and bring and present to you the things you have give to me:
receive it, it is my spirit and mind, my heart, my soul, my courage,
take it all and let it please you.


2. Da ich noch nicht geboren war,
Da bist du mir geboren
Und hast mich dir zu eigen gar,
Eh ich dich kannt, erkoren.
Eh ich durch deine Hand gemacht,
Da hast du schon bei dir bedacht,
Wie du mein wolltest werden.

When I was not born yet, you were born for me,
and have chosen me to be your own before I even knew you.
Before I was made by your hand, you have thought already,
about how you would become mine.


3. Ich lag in tiefster Todesnacht,
Du warest meine Sonne,
Die Sonne die mir zugebracht
Licht, Leben, Freud und Wonne.
O Sonne, die das werte Licht
Des Glaubens in mir zugericht't,
Wie schön sind deine Strahlen.

I lay in the deepest night of death, and you became my sun;
the sun that brought me light, life, joy and delight.
O sun, who fitted me with the worthy light of faith,
how beautiful are your rays! 

4. Ich sehe dich mit Freuden an
Und kann mich nicht satt sehen;
Und weil ich nun nichts weiter kann,
Bleib ich anbetend stehen.
O daß mein Sinn ein Abgrund wär
Und meine Seel ein weites Meer,
Daß ich dich möchte fassen !

I look at you with such great joy and cannot tire of it;
and because I am not able to do anything else, I will just stand here in adoration.
O, that my mind were a huge canyon and my soul a wide ocean
that I might be able to hold you.

(Thus far we had to memorize as kids.
Remaining is new to me.)

5.Wann oft mein Herz vor Kummer weint
Und keinen Trost kann finden,
Da ruft mir's zu: "Ich bin dein Freund,
Ein Tilger deiner Sünden.
Was trauerst du, o Bruder mein?
Du sollst ja guter Dinge sein,
Ich sühne deine Schulden."

Whenever my heart weeps with sorrow, and can find no comfort,
Then you call out to me: "I am your friend, the forgiver of your sins.
Why do you grieve, oh you my brother?
You shall be of good cheer, as I pay for all your guilt."


6. O daß doch so ein lieber Stern
Soll in der Krippen liegen !
Für edle Kinder großer Herrn
Gehören güldne Wiegen.
Ach Heu und Stroh ist viel zu schlecht,
Samt, Seide, Purpur wären recht,
Dies Kindlein drauf zu legen !


Oh, that such a dear star, should lie in the lowly manger!
Noble children of great Lords have golden cradles.
The hay and staw is much too lowly; 
velvet, silk and purple would be appropriate
as bedding for this child.

7.Nehm weg das Stroh, nehm weg das Heu!
Ich will mir Blumen holen,
Daß meines Heilands Lager sei
Auf lieblichen Violen;
Mit Rosen, Nelken, Rosmarin
Aus schönen Gärten will ich ihn
Von oben her bestreuen.

Take way the straw and the hay, I will go and fetch flowers,
which shall be the bedding of my Savior, so he can lie on lovely violets;
also from above I will strew him with roses, carnations and rosemary
from the beautiful gardens.


8. Du fragest nicht nach Lust der Welt
Noch nach des Leibes Freuden;
Du hast dich bei uns eingestellt,
An unsrer Statt zu leiden,
Suchst meiner Seele Herrlichkeit
Durch dein selbsteignes Herzeleid;
Das will ich dir nicht wehren.

Yet, you do not care not for the desires of this world, or the joys of the body;
you have arrived to be with us and suffer in our stead,
to seek the beauty of my soul through your own suffering of heart;
--I will not prevent you.

9. Eins aber hoff ich wirst du mir,
Mein Heiland, nicht versagen:
Daß ich dich möge für und für
In meinem Herzen tragen.
So laß mich doch dein Kripplein sein;
Komm, komm und lege bei mir ein
Dich und all deine Freuden !

I just hope for one thing that I might do, which you will not deny me
--that I might carry you henceforth in my heart.
So let ME be your cradle;  come, come and lodge with me,
you and all your joys!

10. Zwar sollt ich denken, wie gering
Ich dich bewirten werde:
Du bist der Schöpfer aller Ding,
Ich bin nur Staub und Erde.
Doch du bist so ein frommer Gast,
Daß du noch nie verschmähet hast
Den der dich gerne siehet.

I know I should realize how humbly I will serve you:
you are the creator of all things, I am just dust and ashes.
But you are such a pious guest, that you have never 
cast aside one who loves to see you.