Monday, October 5, 2009

Books we read along the way





Along the way, I read all of the explanations to the Small Catechism. I had never done that, nor do I remember anyone ever pointing out that resource. There are about 200 small pages of Bible verses and passages to go with each sentence and phrase in the Small Catechism! Behold! Hello! Someone told me the other day that the catechism is not in the Bible, why are we stuck on it? Well, there you go! Read the entire explanation and you will see how it is thoroughly biblical. It's not so much "Luther's" Small Catechism it is the "Bible's" Small Catechism.

The other thing I read was the Formula of Concord, mostly the Epitome and some of the long version (seeing from the Paul Gerhardt video that this was a crucial document).

I used to think Bror was a brilliant theologian. Now I know where he gets this stuff!!! :)

(How come I'm not interested in any light reading?)

(I think it's because I'm a "Lutheran"; anything "heavy" is actually "light" because of the clear Gospel light.)

The other book we both read (though we thought it might be too late for us, due to our advancing age, :)) was the "Love and Respect" book by Eggerichs. Mary gave that to us four years ago and we did not read it til now. There were two events that got me into it. One, I read on line where a Lutheran Pastor really recommended it highly as not some run-of-the-mill-how-to-book. Two, we were at the Alliance church the other day to hear Pastor Lang speak (his 17 year old son was shot in the Tabor school shooting about 10 years ago) and the church is advertising a four evening series of sessions on this Love and Respect book. Martin--like--almost--or did--agree to go to it. I think Mary heard it. Right Mary? Anyways, we read the book on the way. (See, Mary, it did good after all.)

Admittedly, I did not like the book right away. It is full of testimonials and things you think you know or almost a pitch to go to the seminars... But, it grew on me, a lot.

We need the getting beaten over the head with the two-by-four over and over again, if we've only been seeing our own side of the story. Wake up and look around! And look at yourself. We get this in the book. Repetitive but maybe we'll get it.

The anecdotal items are relevant and often moving. The author is a deep and caring and understanding enough man. Most of all, the material is thoroughly biblical. And Eggerichs finishes up with what we call the theology of the cross. You can try your very best and you still may not be "happy" in your marriage of "good-willed" people. In the end you are not going to do the right thing basically for your own happiness, you are doing it as unto the Lord. Very important two-by-four lesson for all the selfishness in our hearts.

Eggerichs does not counsel as to what to do in certain types of situations or how to enrich your marriage by doing this or that little activity. He does not go into abuse, etc. He deals with the fighting and/or unhappiness of people of more-or-less "good will". He brings out what biblical concepts apply.


http://www.cph.org/cphstore/product.asp?category=&part_no=223079&find_category=&find_description=&find_part_desc=catechism

http://www.amazon.ca/Love-Respect-Desires-Desperately-Needs/dp/1591451876/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254764172&sr=8-1

http://www.cph.org/cphstore/product.asp?category=&part_no=531154&find_category=&find_description=&find_part_desc=book+of+concord

5 comments:

Bror Erickson said...

"I used to think Bror was a brilliant theologian. Now I know where he gets this stuff!!! :)"
All brilliant theologians use those 200 pages of Bible verses in the back of the Catechism. No Theologian is ever done studying the Bible, or Luther's Small Catechism. There is brilliance to choosing resources. But perhaps I ought to point that one out more.

Brigitte said...

Well, I was picking on my not knowing my way around the confessions better. But you are right about reinforcing this point about catechism with explanations. It makes very good reading for any time and a good place to chose some memory verses. It would not take much time out of the day, to just read and memorize a little.

Steve said...

If only I had gone to school in Cuba, instead of L.A....I'd be able to talk to you guys about books, as well.

Thanks for sharing.

I am in my senior year at Krebbs college (however).

Krebbs is a small barber college in the San Fernando Valley, tucked between Louie's deli and Pedro's Tacos.

Next year...I'll read a book!

Bror Erickson said...

Steve,
When you are done, open a Barber shop, with men's magazines in the waiting area. No, not playboy. But magazines about cars, hunting, guns, etc. It would also be nice to see a few stuffed heads on the wall if they haven't outlawed that in California yet. Do that and you will do the world a service.

Brigitte said...

No joking, barber shop is probably a good idea. Kind of like dental office. Did you know the barber used to pull the teeth?

-- You meet all kinds of people on fairly intimate terms, you become friend, counselor, psychiatrist, all that with or without reading books.

I miss cleaning teeth. Maybe I'll work some for one of Martin's classmates, except he is way on the south side and winter is at the door again.