Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas






Did you get something interesting for Christmas?

My daughter gave me Anne Rice's newest book, since I was blogging about her. It was most thoughtful of my girl.

I finished Rice's book in an afternoon. Not a hard read. She describes her very Roman Catholic upbringing in 1940/50 New Orleans in great detail. This was picturesque and interesting and I could relate to it, having gone to Catholic school myself, in Bavaria. She skips most of her 38 years as an atheist, which I found disappointing. She does speak highly of the secular humanists, the secular and religious Jews she got to know and all their conscientious efforts. Then she concludes with her return to Catholicism. What struck me about her return was her need for the Lord's presence in the sacrament. I can relate to that, too. When everything else gives way, there is the only sure ground, the Lord coming to you. When everything seems deader than a doornail, there is the life infusion.

Speaking of life infusions, something else we learned this fall and practiced this Advent and Christmas was to pray the Compline (Prayer at the close of the Day, LSB p. 253), at night. I think this started from reading Pastor Weedon's blog and Bo Giertz and from all the distressing news this fall.

We did this last night with our relatives before they headed out as well, and sang several hymns (though my nephew was insisting on Jingle Bells, which we did not sing. :) We take turns being "L" and sometimes I chant for everyone and sometimes we just speak it. I like to sing the Responsory:

Into Your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit. (L)
Into Your hands I commend my spirit. (C)
You have redeemed me, O Lord, God of truth. (L)
Into Your hands I commend my spirit. (C)
Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit. (L)
Into Your hands I commend my spirit. (C)

Anyhow, this has been a blessing, and I try to catch the news whenever I can, but not just before bedtime.

No comments: