Monday, October 12, 2015

Thanksgiving 15

For the occasion of Thanksgiving 2015, I had the chance, while cooking and baking, to listen to some lengthy talks on YouTube, mostly by William Buckley, with whose work I am just occupying myself.  One long one was about all his books.  I was hoping to come to a decision about which one of the 41 I might like to read sometime.

I am leaning towards the "Miles Gone By".






















The Thanksgiving holiday, and the thinking about my Grandma K., caused me to remember the pictures which hang in my house, in the staircase.





























The Thanksgiving display is lovely and so is the idea of photographing it in order to hang the image up in your house.  Isn't it a wonderful thing?

My family never ate the great big green cabbages, like the one in the front.  There were all sorts of vegetables we did not eat, including tomatoes.  We had lots of cakes (and pudding) but few vegetables.  It was a regrettable thing, really.  We did eat fruit and canned fruit. -- As we see, we ate everything sweet--no wonder the sweet tooth. 

The sunflowers summarize to me, somehow, the fleetingness of everything that is summer and luscious life.  We are to God, like one of his sunflowers.  Here today, grown tall and full of splendor possibly, and gone tomorrow.  How many songwriters have picked up this theme.  The old people I sing with love this theme the most:  "Where are the beautiful days?  Where are the sleigh-rides till dawn... Where have they gone?" Or else "Yesterday.  All my troubles seemed so far away."  

Nevertheless, we have been provided for--and gratitude is the sweetest fruit of all, as well as the beginning of virtue (as a Roman orator said).  Thankfulness changes everything. 

Even Buckley wrote a book on "Gratitude."  He made of point of thanking people.
And probably God, too.


... that brings us gratitude, it’s gratitude that brings us happiness


And as Christians, we are awaiting the new dawn.






No comments: