Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Passion / Easter / Music

Ah, the wonderful music of Passion week and Easter.  Easter goes another 50 days until Pentecost.  I will still work on singing through quite a bit of the music.  At the moment, I have the St. Matthew's Passion score in hand, and sing bits and pieces of it in the morning.

Yesterday, someone of FB shared this link to Glen Gould speaking about Bach;  it promised an unknown Bach choral at the end of the clip.  And surely there was something there that I've never heard before:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=crQ8YEUkUjg

Wikipedia also says about this:  A notable recording of the cantata was performed by Glenn Gould with countertenor Russell Oberlin in 1962, Gould's only recording of a Bach cantatas. Gould himself played the continuo part on a "harpsipiano", a grand piano modified to sound more like a harpsichord.

That would be the above linked Youtube video. 

But the Gould clip led me to look up Bach cantata 54.  What gorgeous pieces.  Here is one alto aria sung by a male falsetto.  The performance was so stunning I showed my husband and listened to it several more times.  Here it is below.  Soloist Markus Forster.  I am an instant, ardent fan.






The words to the Cantata are here:





No comments: