Sunday, January 1, 2012

Day of Circumcision and Name of Jesus, Jan. 1st.


The Collect for the Day of Circumcision and Name of Jesus, Jan. 1st.today is/was:

Lord God,You made Your beloved Son, our Savior, subject to the Law   and caused Him to shed His blood on our behalf.Grant us the true circumcision of the Spirit   that our hearts may be made pure from all sins;through Jesus Christ, our Lord,who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit,   one God, now and forever.

Gradual
This is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel  after those days, declares the Lord:I will put my laws into their minds,  and write them on their hearts.I will be their God, and they shall be my people.  I will remember their sins and their lawless deeds no more. 

I posted these because somewhere else we are having a discussion about whether Jesus blood  was shed for us also on the day of his circumcision.  I stressed that everything Jesus did from the incarnation to the ascension was done on our behalf. We are saved by his life and death, his perfect life also under the law and his shedding of blood, and also that on the day of circumcision.

The Collects for the day are always very beautiful prayers.  For those churches who have abandoned them, I think it is a real loss.  They might look at bringing them back in.


1 comment:

Steve Martin said...

Jesus was born under the law...as are we.

The law will have it's way with us, as it had with Jesus.

But the tomb will not hold us, either.

Thanks, Brigitte.