What does this mean?
We should fear and love God so that we do not despise preaching and God's word, but rather hold it sacred and gladly hear and learn it.
A You shall sanctify the Holy Day.
55. Genesis 2:3. God blessed the seventh day and made it holy because he rested on it from all his works.
56. Exodus 20:9-10. You shall work on sixth days and look after all your affairs; but the seventh day is a Sabbath of the Lord. You shall not work on it, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your servant or your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor the stranger within your gates.
57. Ezekiel 20:20. You shall keep my Sabbath days holy, so that they will be a sign between me and you; you will know that I am the Lord, your God.
B We shall not despise preaching and God's word.
58. Proverbs 13:13. Whoever despises the word is ruining himself; but whoever fears the law will be rewarded.
59. Hebrews 10:25. Let us not stop meeting together, as some have become accustomed to doing; but let us admonish one another, and this all the more as we see the day approaching.
C But hold it sacred.
60. Psalm 119:11. I treasure your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
61. James 1, 22-24. But also be doers of the word and not only hearers, so that you are not deceiving yourselves. Because if someone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who is looking at his face in a mirror. And when he has looked at it, he goes away and forgets what he has seen.
62. James 1:27. A pure and unspoiled service to God the Father is to visit the orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself undefiled by the world.
D and gladly hear and learn it.
63. Psalm 26, 6-8. I keep to your altar, Lord, where one hears the voice of thanksgiving and where are preached all your wonderful deeds. Lord, I love your house and the place where your honor dwells.
64. Ecclesiastes 5:1. Guard your steps when you go to the house of God and come so that you will listen.
65. Colossians 3:16. Let the word of Christ dwell among you richly, in all wisdom; teach and admonish one another with psalms and songs of praise and lovely spiritual songs, and sing to the Lord in your heart.
66. Luke 11:28. Blessed are those who hear the word of God and also treasure it.