Sunday, June 26, 2011

2nd Commandment

We should fear and love God so that we do not use his name to attempt magic.

43.  Deuteronomy 18: 10-12.  Among you shall not be found anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord.

We should fear and love God so that we do not use his name to lie or deceive.


44.  Zephaniah 3:4.  Their prophets are thoughtless men and despisers; their priests profane the sanctuary and interpret the law wrongly.

45.  Matthew 15:8.  This people draws close to me with their mouth and honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.

46.  2 Tim. 3:5.  They have the appearance of a godly way of life, but they deny its power;  avoid such people.

But we should call upon the name of God in all troubles.

47.  Psalm 50:15.  Call upon me in trouble and I will deliver you and you shall praise me.

48.  Psalm 145,18.  The Lord is close to all who call upon him, to all who call upon him in earnest.

We should call upon the name of God to pray.

49.  Ephesians 6:18.  Always pray regarding all your concerns, with petitions and supplication in the Spirit;  keep alert with steadfastness praying for all the saints.

50.  Philippians 4:6.  Do not worry about anything but in all things make your petitions known to God with supplication and thanksgiving.

We should call upon the name of God to praise.

51.  Psalm 103, 1-4.  Praise the Lord, o my soul, and what is in me, praise his holy name.  Praise the Lord, oh my soul and do not forget all the good he has done for you:  he forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, he redeems your life from destruction and crowns you with grace and mercy.

52.  Matthew 10:32-33.  Whoever confesses me before people, this one I will also acknowledge before my Father in Heaven.  But whoever denies me before people, this one I will will also deny before my Father in Heaven.

We should call upon the name of God to give thanks.


53.  Psalm 92, 2-3.  This is the most delightful thing, to give thanks to the Lord, to praise your name, O Most High, to make your grace known in the morning and proclaim your truth at night.

54.  Colossians 3,17.  And everything you do, with words or with deeds, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

No comments: