Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Catechism with Explanations/ Sample

(OK, enough whining. Been there, done that.)

For those who don't know this and for those who like to be reminded every day, here is everyone's favorite part of the Catechism. There are many favorite parts, but this is the mostest favorite. I've written this one out for strangers on airplanes, when the subject matter goes there. Of course, it is on the second article of the creed and on redemption. THE must know of all. I have met Christians who are strongly anti-all-creeds. But look at this. Is this not the best? And those, who don't know at all or not for sure, is this not the best?

The second article of the Apostle's Creed:

I believe in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He descended into hell. The third day He rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God, the Father Almighty. From thence He will come to judge the living and the dead.

Small Catechism: What does this mean?

I believe that Jesus Christ, true God, begotten of the Father from eternity, and also true man, born of the virgin Mary, is my Lord, who has redeemed me, a lost and condemned person, purchased and won me form all sins, from death, and from the power of the devil; not with gold or silver, but with His holy, precious blood and with His innocent suffering and death, that I may be His own and live under Him in His kingdom and serve Him in everlasting righteousness, innocence, and blessedness, just as He is risen from the dead, lives and reigns to all eternity.

This is most certainly true.


Well! Isn't that good? Do you believe it?
I do. It is most certainly true.

And it's not just made up because we like it. It is honest to goodness, historical fact. Nobody just made this up. When you really think about it, nobody would make this up. We make up all kind of stories, but never one like this. It would not have occurred to anyone.

I was thinking the same thing about the Ten Commandments when we were reading from Deuteronomy, yesterday. Who would come up with a list of things to do and not do and the most important part of it is to love God and have no other. This is foreign to us. Who would come up with this? Not we. Definitely not we.
So what do we get in the Explanations: we get 25 pages of Bible verses and summarizing.

Such as: point 124. on page 127:

What do you therefore confess about Jesus Christ, the God-man?

I believe that Jesus Christ is my Lord and my Redeemer, whom I love and serve with my whole life.

430--1 Cor. 6:20 "You were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."

Bible narrative: Thomas' confession (John 20:24)


The whole book goes like that with everything beautifully backed up. Nice, eh?

By the way, the 1. Cor. 6:20 really stuck in my mind. I always read it in context and having to do with sexual sin. But when you look at it more broadly, there are many other things we do or don't do that are or aren't honoring God with your body, such as doing your work and doing it right. The body is integral to our spiritual life. Anyways, you can go from one good thought to another.

No comments: